Sunday, March 14, 2010

Article about paper boys who give to charity

I was just googling around as I occasionally do for anecdotes about the ins and outs of being a paper boy, and what did I find but this current article about a pair of younger-than-most-of-the-ones-around-here paper boys:

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/99999999/NEWS/906150326/Newspaper-carriers-deliver-more-than-the-news

The major reminding-of-me thing about them (besides the fact that one of them does his route on rollerblades, which is another thing that I occasionally pipe dream of, but that's a whole 'nuther story), is that for one month of each year they donate 100% of their earnings during that month to charity.

Hmmm; that's like about 8% of their total earnings for the year. It might even be even more than the I'm-still-trying-to-figure-out-what-the-percentage-is of 2009 tips that my route (in a whimsical, joint action between me and my Route Associate) gave to the St. Judes Children's Hospital.

So: I'm happy to learn that it's not completely unheard of for paper routes to be able to afford to give money to charity. I know it's rare, but, one of the reasons that I think I'm going to keep on doing it while I'm at it is that it might make good propaganda fodder for producing a chain reaction of more tips! Explosion In 2010!

No comments: